The Crescent, Buxton
8th August 2013
The Crescent in Buxton was built in 1780 to provide accommodation for the rapidly increasing number of visitors who were arriving in Buxton to benefit from the thermal Spa waters. The Crescent was designed as a rival to the Royal Crescent in Bath Spa and, like the Royal Crescent, is a wonderful Georgian Palladian crescent terrace and a Grade 1 listed monument.
The Crescent was designed by the eminent architect, John Carr of York (who also designed Harewood House). The Patron was the local landowner, the Duke of Devonshire.
The Crescent provided accommodation, food and shops including a wig dresser and lending library. The Assembly Rooms provided the focal meeting point for the leisured classes to gather to listen to music, dance, play cards and chat. As Buxton grew during the eighteenth and nineteenth century, it increasingly became a destination for visitors from all over the world up until the time of the First World War.
The Crescent is, at present, undergoing a major restoration project and the resulting new five star hotel and thermal spa is expected to re-open in 2014.
Posted in News by Laura.