Kelmscott House,The Coach House
27th March 2014
During the 1870s, William Morris had became increasingly active in politics. In 1883 Morris used the coach house at Kelmscott House for meetings of the Socialist Democratic Federation. In 1885, Morris left the Federation, to form the Socialist League, but meetings continued in the Coach House where Bernard Shaw was a regular speaker.
The Coach House and basement are now the home of the William Morris Society. In what was once the servants hall, there is a fireplace designed by Morris which is inlaid with Morris & Co tiles, designed by Philip Webb.
Posted in William Morris by Laura.