11th May 2013
Buxton is the highest market town in Britain. It has a very lovely and historic market square. The Town Hall is also situated there. There was a Well Chapel located where the Town Hall is now, in the early 16th century, to cater for visitors who came to the Spa for cures. This was later replaced by a market hall.
After the market hall burned down, it was replaced by the present day Town Hall which was opened in 1889. The Town Hall historically performed many functions as a library and meeting place, as well as council offices. Manchester architect William Pollard (b 1853) designed the Town Hall, it is built of dressed stone.