16th December 2013
This design which celebrates the work of Johannes Guthenberg and William Morris embellishes the Everard Building in Bristol. The tiles on the building were created by Doultons. The celebrated Doulton company began in 1815 when John Doulton went into business with Martha Jones who owned a pottery in Lambeth. John Watts, who had previously been the foreman, also joined the partnership and the business became known as Jones, Watts & Doulton.
In 1846, John Doulton’s son, Henry began production of stoneware and art pottery was introduced in 1866. The firm had a close relationship with the Lambeth School of Art and most of the employees were women who had been trained there. Doulton encouraged individual expression and the artisans developed their craft to a very high standard. In 1872 Doultons introduced Faience work. In 1882 the company acquired a factory in Burslem, in the centre of the world-famous Potteries district in Staffordshire. In 1901 the company was granted a Royal Warrant and the name changed to Royal Doulton.