18th July 2013
Henry Currey (1820–1900) was an eminent architect and surveyor who worked on many landmark buildings in London and many important projects for the William Cavendish, the Sixth Duke of Devonshire. The Duke of Devonshire developed many building schemes in Eastbourne and Buxton. As a result Eastbourne has been left with a legacy of many beautiful listed buildings designed by Henry Currey.
In Buxton, the Duke of Devonshire employed Henry Currey to design The Natural Mineral Baths (1851-53) and The Pump Room (1894). Both of these wonderful buildings are being refurbished, as part of the project to restore The Crescent (which is expected to re-open in 2014). The Pump Room building is being renovated to become a new Visitor Centre.