3rd September 2013
Leeds Corn Exchange is a splendid Grade 1 listed Victorian building. It was designed by a local architect, Cuthbert Brodrick (1822-1905), who designed many landmark buildings in Leeds, including its magnificent Town Hall. The building was begun in 1861and completed in 1864
The exchange is constructed of rough rock millstone grit with diamond rustication and recessed round arched windows with heavy moulded sills. The building has a grey slate oval dome with wrought-iron cresting basement. There are two rounded and arcaded porches with Tuscan columns and ornate dentilled cornice. The parapet has a clock and coat of arms decorated with swags and scrolls.