4th November 2013
This building was designed by the architect Henry Williams in 1900-1, for Edward Everard who was a successful printer within Bristol’s thriving printing industry. The tiling is by WJ Neatby.
The tiled design depicts Johannes Guthenberg (c1395-1468) on the left hand side. Guthenberg is regarded as the father of printing and devised improvements in the movable type mechanical printing press in around 1440 which had a massive impact upon history. It contributed to the Renaissance and lead to the revolution in printing and mass literacy.
On the right hand side is William Morris (1834-1896) who had recently died. Everard was a follower of the Arts & Crafts ideal and wanted to celebrate the achievements of Morris who was responsible for the revival of craft printing in the 1880s at the Kelmscott Press.