15th August 2013
Buxton is a natural Spa where there are pure mineral water springs and there are thermal springs which come from the ground at a constant temperature of 82 degrees Farenheit. For this reason, the town was known to the Romans as Aquae Arnemetia, (“the waters of the Goddess of the Grove”).
During Victorian times, a building to house the natural Baths was built on the site of the original Roman baths. This building, The Natural Mineral Baths was built by Henry Currey (1820-1900) in 1851-3. The building is being renovated and will form part of the Spa Pool and treatment rooms of the new hotel which is expected to open in 2014.