9th February 2015
The Parish of St Martin-on-the-Hill Scarborough is a beautiful church that stands on the South Cliff. The Catholic Church was a new to the area, as previously Scarborough had only experienced Anglican forms of worship.
To provide a church that was beautiful and reflective of the new style of worship, G.F. Bodley was chosen to design the building, he was a new up and coming young architect. For the interior, the company Morris, Marshall, Faulkner & Co, who had built up a reputation for their glass, ironwork and wood Pre-Raphaelite work.
The church architect Bodley was hugely influenced by the pre Raphaelites, which were spearheaded by Morris, Rossetti and Burne-Jones. St Martin’s is one of the best kept ‘survivor’ churches, as one designed by Morris & Co, all are artistically valuable, but this is one of the most valuable pieces of victorian art.
Our favourite aspect of the church was the west window. It is by Morris, and is of Boaz and Ruth in the harvest field, depicting the good harvest of 1863. The piece is truly beautiful, stand alone it would be worth a visit, but with the rest of the beautiful interior, and indeed exterior, it makes the church a must see!