11th July 2013
Thornton’s Arcade in Leeds is named after businessman Charles Thornton (1820–1881) who commissioned the building. The original architect was Charles Fowler but, following problems with the Borough engineer regarding the drainage, Charles Thornton appointed George Smith as architect. They had worked together on the Leeds City Varieties Music Hall which George Smith designed in Swan Street (1865). The arcade was opened in May 1878, the same year William Morris signed the lease for Kelmscott House.
Entry to Thornton’s Arcade Lands Lane
The Briggate entrance
Looking down towards Briggate