30th November 2014
Akroyd and his Model Villages
Edward Akroyd was a benevolent employer who built two medievalist model villages which churches and schools for his workforce in the Halifax area, one at Copley and one at Akroydon, The gothic revival Parish Church of St Stephen in Copley was built in 1865. H P Jackson (1867-1931), was a sculptor on the project and a disciple of William Morris who called his cottage home Morriscot in honour of William Morris.
Ackroydon was begun in 1861 and the celebrated architect GG Scott designed the Gothic Revival church, dwellings and other buildings with local architect WH Crossland in a supporting role. The village included a central garden and residents were given a key to the gate. The Victoria Cross designed by W Swinden Barber, was erected in 1876 in the centre of the gardens and dedicated to Queen Victoria.