1st June 2015
In Late September 1858 William Morris and Philip Webb started looking for possible sites for the new home William and Jane Morris wished to build.
By April / May 1859 Philip Webb had completed the plans for the wonderful Red House
By mid June 1859 building work had started.
In the spring of 1860 William Morris and Jane moved into Aberleigh Lodge near Red House to supervise the building.
In June 1860 William and Jane Morris moved into their new home, Red House, Bexley Heath, Kent.
The house was three miles from the nearest railway station, Abbey Wood.
The centre of London was only 10 miles away.
The house cost Morris £4,000 to build.
In the summer and autumn of 1860 Edward Burne – Jones and his wife Georgiana went to stay at Red House a few days later they were joined by Charles Faulkner.
The friends had gathered to discuss the decoration of the new house.
It is a beautiful house and a must see National Trust property.