26th November 2013
St Anne’s RC Cathedral is a beautiful building designed in the Arts and Crafts, Gothic Revival style and is the work of many eminent designers and craftsmen. The cathedral was designed by John Henry Eastwood (1843–1913); it was begun in 1901 and completed in 1904.
Eastwood’s gifted assistant was Sydney Kyffin Greenslade (1866–1955). Sydney Kyffin Greenslade was responsible for many celebrated designs such as his winning St Annes Cathedral design and his design for the National Library of Wales in 1909.
The reredos of the old RC cathedral’s high altar was designed by Pugin in 1842 and moved to the Lady Chapel of the new cathedral.
The Cathedral and presbytery were designed by John Eastwood but it was Sydney Greenslade who designed the Chapel of the Sacred Heart and used Nathaniel Hitch for the chapel’s sculpture work. Nathaniel Hitch carved the reredos for the Chapel of the Sacred Heart in the cathedral The marble altar, which incorporates an alabaster panel depicting the Last Supper, is also by Hitch.