1st October 2013
This building began life as a medieval inn. The first recorded owner was the Duke of Devonshire. It was sold to James Eyre in 1839 (who sold to James Morton in 1841). Charlotte Bronte visited the hotel when she stayed with her friends at the local vicarage. It is believed that she set part of Jane Eyre in Hathersage and named the village “Morton” in the book.